Originally Published August 2, 2015
Who is God to you? What is your relationship with Him? Do you view Him as your boss, the Guy that’s given you a list of rules to follow? When we think of God as our boss, the relationship rarely results in feelings of love for Him. God is so much more than our boss, He’s our Father. He yearns for a closeness that we don’t have with anyone else, for us to put Him first. He yearns for our love.
Do you love God? Have you ever really thought about it? Do you actually feel like you have a relationship with Him or do you feel like you just have to obey Him and give your life to Him so that you can make it into Heaven?
Whoa, tough questions!
If you decided you do love God, I want to challenge you to SHOW Him you love Him this week. “How do I do that?” You may ask. Here are a few ways:
- Read the Bible and meditate on His word. If your Bible has verses in red, read those. If it doesn’t, read Matthew.
- Sing your favorite Christian song to Him. Close your eyes and belt it out. You can even raise your hands if you feel like it.
- Pray and have a conversation with God. Talk to Him like you talk to your best friend. Don’t be afraid, He already knows everything about you, but He would love to hear it come from your mouth. Bonus points if you tell Him how you feel about Him!
- Donate your time to a local homeless shelter. Feed the poor. Help God’s people (which is ALL people).
- Donate your money to a Godly cause… with a smile! Give out of love, not because it’s a rule.
- Tell someone else how much you love God and why. (If you don’t know who to tell, comment on this blog post below!)
- Be a good example. This one is easier said than done. When you proclaim yourself as a Christian, people will analyze you. They will judge you. They will look for every weakness you have. And they’ll find them because you’re not perfect. But if they’re looking that hard, they’ll also see when you do something that glorifies God. They’ll notice that at times your actions are different. They may see that you are in a cheerful mood on Monday morning, that you chose not to put yourself in a compromising position with someone of the opposite sex, or that you stood up for what you believed in even when it made you unpopular. When we shine our light for God, we allow people to see that our lives are different and WONDERFUL because we have God and if that brings just one additional person to God, it’s well worth it!
- Remember how much God loves you and internalize that feeling. John 3:16, one of the most well-known verses in the Bible, says, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” When it says God gave His son, it means He allowed Jesus, His perfect and only son, to be a sacrifice so that we could go to Heaven. The amount of love He has for us is more than I can even fathom and it brings me to tears when I think about it.
How will you show God you love Him this week?
With Love & Light,